Thursday, June 9, 2011

7 Layer Bars

When I first looked at this recipe, I thought there were only 6 layers, but then I realized that both ingredients in the crust were counted. Maybe you are a little quicker than I am...for your sake, let's hope so! If you aren't, I bet you are glad I explained it, right? :-)

7 Layer Bars
(Connie Winder)

Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham crackers
1/3 cup margarine

Combine and press into bottom of greased 9x13 pan.**

Put the following on one layer at a time:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts*

Once all ingredients are in the pan, push them down firmly. Bake 30 min at 350.

What I have learned:
**You can line the bottom of the pan with tin foil (and have the tin foil coming up above the sides of the dish). Spray Pam on the tin foil. Once they have completely cooled, simply lift the whole batch of bars out of the pan, place them on a cutting board, and cut into perfect squares...no more killing the first few pieces with a spatula trying to get them out of the pan.

*Due to allergies, we are a no-nut family. If you leave out the nuts, simply add another 1/2 cup of butterscotch or chocolate chips. You need the same amount of "chunky" ingredients for this to set up right.

*Don't under cook! If you are not sure, I would err on the side of a little too done over not done enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment