The hubs doesn't know how this can be counted as a salad because it's so amazing (and apparently men can't think salads are yummy??) It tastes light and refreshing and has already made its way into our kitchen multiple times this summer. This sweet and mildly spicy dish is perfect for a hot day!
Spicy Honey Chicken Salad
Kate Jones and Sara Wells
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (thighs work better in this recipe than breasts); about 2 lbs.
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 tsp granulated garlic (I had a hard time finding this...the best substitute I have found is 1 tsp garlic powder)
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp coriander
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
Salad (yields 4 large salads or 6 small ones)
1-2 heads romaine or red leaf lettuce
2 ripe mangoes, chilled
2-3 ripe avocados
1 small red onion, sliced (or diced)
1 recipe Honey-Citrus Vinaigrette (recipe to follow)
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat or about 400 degrees.
2. Combine rub ingredients in a small bowl
3. Trim any visible fat from the thighs, rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. Drizzle oil over chicken and rub it in with your hands. Rub the spice rub into the chicken. Grill for 3-5 minutes each side.
4. For the glaze: While chicken is cooking, warm honey in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Whisk in vinegar. Reserve 2 Tbsp glaze and brush the rest on the chicken in the final moments of cooking. Remove chicken from the grill and allow to stand 3-5 minutes. Drizzle reserved 2 Tbsp of glaze over chicken while it's standing.
5. For salad: While chicken is grilling, wash lettuce and divide among plates. Slice mangoes, avocados and onions and arrange on top of lettuce. When chicken has rested for 5 minutes after cooking, slice and divide among the salad plates. Serve immediately with Honey-Citrus Vinaigrette.
Honey Citrus Vinaigrette:
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 tsp grated onion
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp honey
3/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Combine ingredients together in a jar and shake until well combined. Shake well before serving.