One of my all-time favorite guilty pleasures, creme brulee just might be my number one dessert of choice...Love it! The hubby knows if creme brulee is anywhere near the menu at a restaurant where we're eating...we won't be going home without some...In fact, once a month, he attends a work meeting without me at a fancy restaurant in town and without fail, my knight in shining armor comes home dawning some goodness a la creme! And now for the past couple of years, it has become a family favorite at home too...especially for the kids watching dad and the torch!
Mike and Molly Johnson
6 egg yolks
6 tablespoons white sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Beat egg yolks, 4 tablespoons sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl until thick and creamy.
3. Pour cream into a saucepan and stir over low heat until it almost comes to boil. Remove the cream from heat immediately. Stir a few tablespoons of warm cream into the egg yolk mixture; whisk briskly until thoroughly combined. Pour the remaining cream into the egg mixture and whisk briskly.
4. Skim foam off top with strainer and discard. Pour into individual ramekins. Set individual dishes in a baking dish and place on preheated oven shelf. Pour hot water in dish until water level is halfway up ramekins.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 15-30 minutes. They are done when you shake the dish gently and they jiggle just slightly in the middle. The jiggle shouldn't be a liquid jiggle, but more of a gelatin-like jiggle.
6. Remove from oven and cool in the water bath for about 15 minutes, then remove and place in the refrigerator to chill. Just before serving, sprinkle the tops with white granulated sugar and shake off the excess. Broil on highest rack till caramelized (approx 3 minutes) or use a propane torch (my preference, like pictured above...can be purchased at drug or hardware stores, online or at Walmart or Target) to caramelize tops till browned but not black. Serve immediately topped with berries and a dob of whipped cream.